For one, I’ve always wanted to do what Chris Davis (better known to many as the Frog Queen) and her husband do with their Davis Graveyard: go all out doing my yard up for Halloween.
A YARD HAUNTER EXTRAORDINNAIRE
That’s right, the Frog Queen is a member of an elite group of people known as “yard haunters.” If you ask me, which you didn’t but I’m going to give you my two and a half cents anyway, that’s a rather unassuming moniker.
I mean, these people use their yards as canvases and Halloween as their muse to create what amounts to beautiful macabre artforms. Truly, they are artists who bring visions to life for the rest of us to enjoy.
And when it comes to the Frog Queen, she is definitely an artiste. She and her husband actually create many of the pieces gracing their graveyard. To get an idea of what they create, check out the following posts and pics within:
Sadly, and truth be known, I’m far too lazy to put in the time required to turn my yard into an awesome Halloween destination like the Davis Graveyard. Lucky for me I can live vicariously through the Frog Queen and her blog!
THE FROG DID IT
Oh, and the other thing that instantly appealed to me about Chris was her love of frogs.
When I was little I had this huge frog toy box. I loved it. I loved it so much that when anything went wrong and I was asked, “Courtney, did you do X, Y, or Z?” I’d respond by saying, “The frog did it!”
That’s how my love affair with frogs started…by me turning them into scape goats. I don’t have near the frog collection the Frog Queen does, but my family has bestowed upon me a decent little family of frogs that I can blame for any mishaps I don’t want to take credit for.
THE FROG QUEEN’S GIFT (a.k.a. THE GIVEAWAY)
Chris has generously offered to donate two items to Haunt Jaunts Spooktacular Halloween Blog Party:
- One set of prints
- One flat garden skull face
Chris will have to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the prints are these glossy prints of Marci Brandt’s photos of Davis Graveyard. A pic of the skull face is forthcoming, but one thing’s for certain: you’ll be getting a very awesome yard decoration from her.
HOW TO ENTER
I’m going to run this one like the “Halloween Boo Bling” giveaway. Meaning, you have the chance to win both items if you want both.
But you have to do two things first:
- The Frog Queen and I both share a love of frogs and have a collection of them. I want to know something about you. Leave a comment telling me what you collect, if anything.
- As part of your comment also specify if you want either the prints, the skull face, or both. (Keep in mind: put down what you want or forever hold your peace. If you’re name is picked you’ll win whatever you note.)
- Only one entry per person.
- Entries accepted until 11:59 p.m. CST Thursday October 21, 2010.
- The winner(s) will be selected on Friday October 22, 2010.
- Winners will be chosen by name. Prizes will be awarded based on what the winner picks. (Like the Boo Bling giveaway, if the 1st winner picked selects both prizes, the contest is over. But if they select only one item, another drawing will be made to give away the remaining prize.)
- I’m limiting this one to U.S. residents only because Chris is going to be mailing the prizes out and I don’t want to impose on her generosity by creating more work for her.