Happy Halloween Season!
As we wrote in our Invitation to Haunt Jaunts 2016 Halloween Party, we intended to do giveaways all October long. We also meant to do a #WishYouWereHere and #IfYouDare Halloween challenge.
Well, we decided to do something a little bit different. (Of course the inspiration for the change struck after we wrote the invitation post.)
We still wanted to create a challenge of some kind, but our initial conception was a little murky.
But we really wanted to do something involving reader participation for a different way of awarding prizes for contests. We wanted to bring the spirit of “Trick or treat!” online.
Because we have treats, but we decided you gotta bring the tricks.
The best parties have costumes, Halloween decorations and pumpkins. That’s what we want to see: you enjoying the season.
But good parties also provide fun and games and entertainment, so… Here’s what we’ve come up with:
HJ Halloween Party HQ
Consider this post our HJ Halloween Headquarters.
It’s where you’ll find info on all the contests*, fun & games and entertainment that will make up our Halloween 2016 festivities.
So read on to check out the haunted happenings and mark your calendar for what you want to attend!
*Except for the newsletter subscriber-only contests. There’s only one place that info will go and that’s directly to VIJ inboxes. (Not a Very Important Jaunter, and don’t want to miss out on exclusive contests in the future? Click here to become one!)
Note: We have a few things we’re still working out, so we’ll be updating this page with links and info as we get the kinks worked out and the final touches in place.
Last updated: October 26, 2016 3:55 p.m.
Below are the links to all of our contests with brief descriptions. Click on the links for more info on how to enter.
- The #MyHJSelfie Halloween Costume Contest – What’s a Halloween party without costumes? We want to see you all decked out! Show us and you could win a genuine 24k plastic gold medal and trophy! We’ll be judging on seven categories!
- The #MyHJPumpkin Jack-O-Lantern Contest – Nothing personifies Halloween like pumpkins. Show us yours and you could win a prize pack in addition to a genuine 24k plastic gold medal and trophy!
- The #MyHJHaunt Contest – Show us your decorations! Inside, outside, wherever you’ve got them, we want to see them! The one we like best will win a prize pack plus a genuine 24k plastic gold medal and trophy!
- The Guess What’s in the Bag Contest: Pumpkins or Eyes? – Win a Human Organ for Transplant Lunch bag. All you have to do is guess what’s inside it: pumpkins or eyes.
- The 13 Tales of Terror Pick a Chapter Contest – You pick which story we’ll read from our anthology, Shadow People and Cursed Objects: 13 Tales of Terror Based on True Stories…or are they?. Your vote enters you into a drawing for a prize pack. (You’ll also see this one under the Fun & Games and Entertainment section.)
Enter one or enter all!
Fun & Games and Entertainment
We’re considering taking advantage of Facebook’s newest fun feature, Facebook Live, to interactively party like we’ve never been able to before.
Here’s what we’ve got in mind:
Here’s what we’re thinking: we’ll post this event and then send a picture of a Halloween Bingo card via email, text or FB Messenge to those who indicate that they want to play.
More info to follow…
Okay, here’s the dates we’re doing for Halloween Bingo:
- Thursday October 27, 2016 at 9 p.m. CST.
- Mischief Night (October 30) Halloween Bingo at 7 p.m.
Spin the Mystic Wheel
Would you like to Spin the Mystic Wheel and hear the Skull of Fate give you a haunting message?
We’re going to set up different times to do this one on Facebook Live. We’re thinking they’ll be short 15 minutes increments each time.
We’ll test it to see how it goes the first one. Might add on or might scrap it after that. We’ll gauge the interest level.
As soon as we post the FB Live Event notice, we’ll post the info here too. Stay tuned…
We’ve got our first date! Unfortunately we’re updating this post right before the event. But if it goes well, we’ll do another one.
- Skellie will be spinning on Wednesday October 26, 2016 at 3 p.m. CST. Go to our Facebook page
SPACO Costume Reading
On Halloween we’ll be dressing up in our Halloween best to read from a couple of parts of Shadow People and Cursed Objects: 13 Tales of Terror Based on True Stories…or are they?
From now until October 30, we’re letting you all pick which story from the anthology you’d like to hear read. See our The 13 Tales of Terror Pick a Chapter Contest for more details.
Then, on Monday, October 31, 2016 at 1 p.m. CST we’ll read the winning story (or perhaps stories, depending on votes cast). We’ll also draw names of all who entered to receive a prize pack that includes a complimentary copy, a $10 Amazon gift card and a HJ pen.
We hope so!
Let us know which of our festivities you’re most excited about.