Got a press release about Denver’s most horrifying haunts, the 13th Floor and The Asylum. Hard to believe but 2016 marks their 15th year!
I meant to post all this back at the start of the haunted house season but…I didn’t. One distraction led to another and another and, well…you get the picture.
But I’m posting it now. There’s still plenty of time to enjoy these haunts if you haven’t already. They’ll be running through mid-November!
Here’s the deets:
DENVER’S MOST HORRIFYING HAUNTS ARE BACK FOR A 15TH SEASON BOASTING SETS, SPECIAL EFFECTS AND NEW ATTRACTIONS SURE TO SCARE
The 2016 Season for Denver’s Scariest Haunted Houses, 13th Floor and The Asylum, Runs From Mid-September Through Early-November
Horror in the heart of the Mile High, 13th Floor is Denver’s largest haunted house. Tapping into your childhood nightmares this year, this legendary haunt will plunge brave guests into the depth of what lies beneath. Get ready to cut into the depths of your superstitious psyche, unleashing the fears that lurk inside day and night. Take a trip just south of the Denver Coliseum at I-70 and Brighton Boulevard where a dark portal rests between the railroad tracks and the South Platte River. A night of excitement and thrills await; the spine tingling scares start the moment you step out of your car.
The Asylum is Denver’s #1 rated haunted attraction. A few miles east of downtown lies the secret resting ground for 200 lost souls – former adult and child residents and also doctors of the Ridgegate Asylum, a dark chapter in Denver’s history. No record was made of the move to Northeast Park Hill still, some 200 bodies are said to have been buried at 39th and Kearney Street – a strange resting place, considering at one time, the site was used as a schoolhouse for forgotten children. Now, there’s been a breach in the tomb and there are rumors that the maniacal deeds are being revisited upon the people of Denver. The Asylum is a horrifying head trip for all who dare to enter.
Both haunted houses, owned and operated by the nation’s biggest independent haunted house operator Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group, are produced by Hollywood special effects artists and world-renowned haunted house set designers. Returning for a fresh season of screams, 13th Floor and The Asylum are debuting all new attractions and characters in 2016 sure to scare.
13th Floor New Attractions:
- “Slasher Remix” – You remember the nightmares, don’t you? A masked psychopath with a chainsaw, a bladed hand, alone in a cabin in the woods. You tried to scream but nothing came out. No one could help you. Well we’re sorry to say you don’t outgrow the fears of the slasher films of yesteryear…you just hide them away. This year, we’re resurrecting those exact memories, twisting the characters that haunted you the most, and making you face them as you try to make it out of the cabin in one piece. Will you overcome your nightmares this time around? There is only one way to find out.
- “Undead: Abomination” – The rumors and conspiracy theories are true. You are sure of it. You’ve heard about the subterranean labs deep beneath the hum drum surface of River North – the experiments, the mutations and the discarded bodies that are buried there far below the businesses and condos we see today. But there is no rest for the “Undead;” quite the contrary. Many of the subjects were experimented on and survived the now-abandoned lab as the mutations continued under the watchful eye of guards and quasi-scientists…until something unthinkable emerged from the bowels of the earth…an “Abomination.” Indeed, the walking corpses that now terrorize the deep dark passageways and nooks of the underground have begun to find their way out. Will your group make it through unscathed or will the “Undead: Abomination” take some of you for their ranks?
- “Cursed: The Ritual” – The hamlet of Blackmoor has been overtaken by werewolves, which emerged from the nearby cemetery’s cavernous crypts and tombs a year ago. The mystery remains as to how the town’s citizens are taken into this dark wolven tribe. “Cursed: The Ritual” takes you back to before the feral moon awoke these ravenous creatures, when the living and the undead were revived by the act of necromancy of a local bokor, a sorcerer or witch. That’s right…VOODOO! These undead canine beasts can be traced back to Haitian roots and their red eyes are a sign the evil has taken possession – as goes the folklore. A zombie remains under the control of the bokor as a personal slave, having no will of its own, so you must be strong as you pass through these unhallowed grounds. Can you resist the call of the voodoo priestesses or will you be summoned into the order of the ritualistic, cursed werewolves like so many before you?
The Asylum New Attractions:
- “Postmortem: The Escape” – You will enter The Asylum to find the body of an untreatable resident lost to disease, waiting for you on an autopsy table. Within seconds you realize that what started as a tour, is now a trap! Desperately, you must work with a group of friends and strangers to uncover the clues and make your escape. You have only a short time to work together before the chamber begins filling with the sedation gas. You don’t want to be trapped there in an unconscious state…or you may be the next one on the table!
- “Primitive Fear: Anarchy” – All hell has broken loose on the city streets after whisperings of an opening in the walls meant to keep the residents in and the pitchforks and torches out. As luck would have it, the most notorious pair to ever call Ridgegate home were the first to discover the pathway back to society. As if they had never left, they are now back in control. They run these streets along with their gang of misfit henchman. Their plan has been implemented – introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. What we call a crime spree, they call vindication. Who is this masked pair? We only know the names that the survivors have given them, Mr. and Mrs. Nice Guy, a reference to the smile laden masks they wear to conceal their true identities and stifle their inner conflicts. They smile, because it confuses people. They smile, because it’s easier than explaining what is killing them inside. Don’t be yet another to be fooled by their smiles…
- “Ridgegate: The Deranged” – Untold horrors were committed at what we now know as Ridgegate – electroshock treatments, bloodletting, surgery viewings for family members, grotesque lobotomies, and inhuman isolation guaranteed to drive even the most stable of residents over the edge. It is said that one could not tell the residents from the staff, were it not for the straightjackets so many were made to wear all hours of day and night. Were the conditions and medical experiments of the time safe? Who was watching the so-called doctors? Some say they are there still there, passing judgment on all who enter. Can you honestly say that you aren’t maybe just a little bit crazy? Of course you are…you’d have to be crazy to come in here!
- Saturday, Sept. 17 – Opening night at 13th Floor
- Friday, Sept. 23 – Opening night at The Asylum
- Friday, Sept. 23 – Monday, Oct. 31 – The Asylum operating dates
- Friday, Sept. 17 – Saturday, Nov. 5 – 13th Floor operating dates
- Friday, Oct. 14 – National Haunted House Day (percentage of proceeds benefits “Don’t Be a Monster” anti-bullying program)
- Friday, Nov. 11 – Saturday, Nov. 12 – 13th Floor Blackout Event
- General Ticket Information (pre-sales available online now)
- Weekdays – ticket prices start at $19.99 and $26.99 depending on day of the week
- Most Fridays and Sundays and on Halloween – ticket prices start at $29.99
- Most Saturdays – ticket prices start at $32.99
- Fast Pass – $10 more
- Skip the Line and reserve your entry time – $20 more
Both haunted houses are based in Denver, 13th Floor is located at 4120 Brighton Blvd. Unit C2 and The Asylum is located at 6100 E. 39th Ave. For more information, visit www.getscared.com.