The New Year has begun and that means I’m updating some of the lists around here, like the Ghost Hunting & Etc. Events, Paracons & Horror Fests, and Calendar of Odd Dates pages. The last of which would would be incomplete without including 2017’s Friday the 13th appearances, right?
But 2017’s Friday the 13ths have some unusual things you might want to take note of. Such as:
- Double Trouble?: Some years have as many as three Friday the 13ths (a rarity). Others, like last year, only have one. This year has two: Friday January 13, 2017 and Friday October 13, 2017. Depending on whether you’re superstitious about them or not will determine if you view this year’s as good or bad.
- Double Whammy?: January’s Friday the 13th is preceded by a Full Moon on January 12. While it won’t be a Full Moon exactly on Friday the 13th, the moon will still be plenty full. Some people believe Full Moons bring out crazier than normal behavior and that such effects can be seen up to a couple of days before and after. Others say it just seems like that. Guess we’ll see what this one brings…
- Rare October Friday the 13th: If you read #1 above then you know that, yes, there will be a Friday the 13th during Halloween season, a.k.a. October. This is rare. The last October Friday the 13th was eleven years ago in 2006. And there won’t be another one until 2023.
- “New” Friday the 13th Movie: By “new” I mean another incarnation of the 1980 classic that launched the franchise will be released. During the October Friday the 13th, naturally. Rumor has it that it may be a “period” film. I’m presuming that means set in the 1980s or some time other than now, and not having to do with menstruation or feminine hygiene products.
- Some Haunted Houses Open January 13, 2017: If you love haunted houses of the Halloween variety and want a fix prior to Halloween, you’re in luck. Many of the big ones will be open the first Friday the 13th of 2017. (And will obviously be open during the second one.) For a list, see our list of 16 Haunted Houses Open January 13, 2017.