I came across this article the other day: “TripAdvisor Scares Up the Top 10 Ghost Tours in the U.S.” I was of course curious to see which ones they ranked in the Top 10.
I was also curious to see how it stacked up against a guest blog I once wrote for the Top 10 Blog: “Top 10 US Towns for Taking a Ghost Tour.” Would any of the tours I listed also make TripAdvisors list? (Even though I listed cities, I also listed tours within the cities.)
Moreover, I’d had a heck of a time picking just the 10 I did, so I decided to do a companion post on my blog. How would the Other 16 Top Towns for taking a ghost tour compare with the TripAdvisor list? Would there be any consensus there?
Here’s the results:
THE TOURS TRIPADVISOR LISTED
Note: I so enjoyed the cute tour nicknames TripAdvisor came up with for each ghost tour that Icopied them along with the tours. (The nicknames precede the actual tour names.)
1. Hair-Raising Harpers: Ghost Tours of Harpers Ferry, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
2. I Ski Dead People: Park City Ghost Tours, Park City, Utah
3. A Risky Ride: Hearse Ghost Tours, Savannah, Georgia
4. Macabre Market: Market Ghost Tour, Seattle, Washington
5. Quick and the Dead: Tombstone Ghost Tour, Tombstone, Arizona
6. Spooky Surprise: Providence Ghost Tour, Providence, Rhode Island
7. Seeking the Supernatural: Old Bisbee Ghost Tours, Bisbee, Arizona
8. The Big Spooky: New Orleans Ghost Tour, New Orleans, Louisiana
9. Horrifying History: Chattanooga Ghost Tours, Chattanooga, Tennessee
10. Smoking Specters: The Original Ghost Tours of Catalina, Catalina Island, California
THE TOP 10 TOWNS HAUNT JAUNTS LISTED
- Bisbee and Tombstone (counted them together because they’re not that far from each other)
- Dallas/FT. Worth
- New Orleans
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- St. Augstine
GHOST TOUR TOWNS IN COMMON
Here’s the five towns we both had in common:
- New Orleans
Within the cities Haunt Jaunts listed for each town were the same ghost tours TripAdvisor recommended.
HOW THE OTHER 16 STACKED UP AGAINST TRIPADVISOR’S OTHER FIVE
There wasn’t a single city on Haunt Jaunts “other 16” list that was on TripAdvisors.
I don’t know what it all means except for one thing: there are a lot of ghost tours out there. Some are better than others, but wherever you’re traveling you should be able to find one or two (or more!) to enjoy.