Okay, so admittedly I’m a big freakin’ chicken when it comes to investigating haunted houses of the Halloween variety, but I love them nonetheless. I love their spirit (or spirits as the case may be) and I love what they represent. I love that they allow people of all ages to get in touch with their inner fears, scream and shout, and in general embrace the darker side of life in a creative way.
This past weekend was Open(ing) House weekend for a lot of haunted houses. (Some had opened earlier, but it seems I ran across a fair share that waited until the last weekend of September to open their doors. And then there are the ones that will let the suspense build and wait for October’s high season before they open. Their arrival will be much anticipated in their areas, I am sure!)
At any rate, here’s some links to places I’ve come across about Halloween haunted houses. Best of lists and sites listing haunted houses (as well as corn mazes, haunted barns, pumpkin patches, etc.). If you’re looking for a haunted attraction to visit this Halloween season, either in your town or somewhere you may be visiting, these sites will definitely help!
P.S. If you ventured to a haunted house this weekend, I’d love to hear about it. Or if you’re planning on going, share that too!
- America’s Best Haunts 2009 – The 13 haunted houses on their list are the crème de la crème this Halloween according to them.
- Haunted Attraction Magazine’s 25 Must-See Haunts – Interestingly, their list has some of the same ones as America’s Best Haunts, but not entirely. And, of course, they include a few more.
- HauntedHouse.com‘s Jack-o-Lantern Find Haunted Houses Near You Map – Lists all kind of Halloween attractions in your state, from haunted houses to corn mazes and everything in between!
- HauntedHouses.com‘s Find Haunted House Attraction map – Note, this is not the same site as above. There is a HauntedHouse.com and a HauntedHouseS.com…notice the extra S. Both have neat click-on maps, but this map is a standout. Drips blood, has lightning bolts flashing across it and there’s even a crawling spider. Way cool Halloween fun!
- HauntWorld.com‘s Halloween Haunted Houses map – This map is scary! Blood-splattered jack-o-lantern face with eyes that follow your cursor as you pick a state. Creepy!
- HorrorFind.com has two lists of interest for planning hauntingly fun Halloween jaunts: One is for haunted houses (which includes corn mazes, pumpkin patches, etc.); the other lists horror attractions.